I found the “Recipe for Holiday Unhappiness” cartoon (below) in my archive and it gave me a chuckle so I thought I’d share it. (All still so true!)
It’s followed by a real (and delicious!) recipe for savory cookies that I found in the Toronto Star.
Have a joyful, stress-free holiday, friends!
Recipe for Holiday Unhappiness
Oh, it’s Christmas! Now let me see. What is my recipe for unhappiness? Ah, yes, here it is:
– I cup of High Expectations.
– A month’s dose of Daily News.
– A moderate dose of Isolation. (Easy to come by this time of year….)
– A dash of illness (A little goes a long way.)
Stir it all together and let the stress rise. (You may need to knead it several times before the stress has risen high enough.) Then pop it in the oven and by Christmas it will be done!
Savory Cookies (This One’s for REAL)
This recipe is perfect for those of us who would reach for a savory over a sweet!
– 2 1/2 cups (10 oz.) freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese- 1/2 cup butter, softened
– 2 tablespoons half-and-half
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 cups chopped toasted pecans
– 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Beat cheese, butter, half-and-half, and salt at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until blended. Gradually add flour, pecans, and rosemary, beating just until combined.
3. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Divide into 4 equal portions, and flatten each into a disk; roll each disk to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter. Place 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until golden; cool on baking sheets on wire racks 30 minutes.
(I’ve also made it with kamut flour, which is great, only use a little less.)
Illustration by Marta Tonin. (I usually post vintage illustrations but I couldn’t resist this wonderful image of Befana by Marta Tonin. It comes from the book “la vera storia della Befana.” Befana is Italy’s version of Santa. Click here to hear it told and explored by Pina Marchese.)